RDF To Database (R2D)
This research presents R2D (RDF-to-Database), an effort whose goal is to enable reusability of relational tools on RDF data. R2D aims to transform RDF data, at run-time, into an equivalent normalized relational schema, thereby bridging the gap between RDF and RDBMS concepts and making the abundance of existing relational tools available to RDF Stores. R2D includes the ability to map blank nodes, which are used to represent complex relationships between entities, and to perform pattern matching and aggregation functions on data.
Translation in R2D is achieved through R2D's mapping language which is a collection of constructs that establish equivalencies between RDF concepts and corresponding RDBMS concepts. R2D's system architecture is comprised of three modules, viz., the RDFMapFileGenerator, an automatic RDF-to-Relational Schema mapping file generator utility; the DBSchemaGenerator, which is a parser that generates a domain-specific, virtual relational schema for the corresponding RDF store; and the SQL-to-SPARQL Translator, which translates an SQL statement into an equivalent SPARQL statement and returns the results in a tabular format. As evidence of the feasibility of our research, R2D was successfully deployed to access RDF data using an existing open source relational visualization tool called DataVision which, thanks to R2D, was unaware that the relational equivalent of the input RDF store was phyisically nowhere in existence.
Professors: Dr. Latifur Khan, Steven Seida and Dr. Bhavani Thuraisingham
Students: Sunitha Ramanujam and Anubha Gupta
Documents and Publications:
- S. Ramanujam, A. Gupta, L. Khan, S. Seida, and B. Thuraisingham, Relationalizing RDF Stores for Tools Reusability, In 18th International World Wide Web Conference, pp. 1059-1060, Madrid, Spain, 2009. (Nominated for Best Poster Award)
- S. Ramanujam, A. Gupta, L. Khan, S. Seida, and B. Thuraisingham, R2D: Extracting Relational Structure from RDF Stores, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Web Intelligence, vol. 1, pp. 361-366, Milan, Italy, September 16-18, 2009.
- S. Ramanujam, A. Gupta, L. Khan, S. Seida, and B. Thuraisingham, A Relational Wrapper for RDF Reification, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Trust Management, pp. 196-214, Boston:Springer, June 16-19, 2009.
- S. Ramanujam, A. Gupta, L. Khan, S. Seida, and B. Thuraisingham, R2D: A Bridge between the Semantic Web and Relational Visualization Tools, In International Conference on Semantic Computing, pp. 303-311, Berkeley, California, September 14-16, 2009.
- S. Ramanujam, A. Gupta, L. Khan, S. Seida, and B. Thuraisingham, A Framework for the Relational Transformation of RDF Data, Accepted in the International Journal on Semantic Computing (Invited Paper).
- S. Ramanujam, A. Gupta, L. Khan, S. Seida, and B. Thuraisingham, Relationalization of Provenance Data in Complex RDF Reification Nodes, Accepted in the Electronic Commerce Research Journal - special issue on Trust and Privacy Aspects of Electronic Commerce (Invited Paper).