Dr. Alvaro Cardenas
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park,
- M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 2002
- B.S., Major: Electrical Engineering, Minor: Mathematics, University of Los Andes, 2000
- Cyber-Physical Systems Security and Privacy
- Intrusion Detection Systems
- Smart Grid Networks, Security and Privacy
- Internet of Things and Wireless Embedded Systems
Major Honors and Awards:
- NSF CAREER Award 2016-2020
- Best Paper Award: 2014 IEEE Smart Grid Communications Conference, 2002 Army Science Conference
- Graduate School Fellowship, University of Maryland, College Park, 2000-2002
- Valente, Junia, and Alvaro A. Cárdenas. “Using Visual Challenges to Verify the Integrity of Security Cameras.” Proceedings of the 31st Annual Computer Security Applications Conference. ACM, 2015.
- Barreto, C., Cardenas, A. A., Quijano, N., & Mojica-Nava, E. (2014, December). “CPS: market analysis of attacks against Demand Response in the Smart Grid.“ Proceedings of the 30th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (pp. 136-145). ACM.
- Barreto, C., Giraldo, J., Cardenas, A. A., Mojica-Nava, E., & Quijano, N. (2014). “Control Systems for the Power Grid and Their Resiliency to Attacks.” Security & Privacy, IEEE, 12(6), 15-23.
- Cardenas, A. A., Amin, S., Lin, Z. S., Huang, Y. L., Huang, C. Y., & Sastry, S. (2011, March). “Attacks Against Process Control Systems: Risk Assessment, Detection, and Response.” Proceedings of the 6th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (pp. 355-366). ACM.
- Cardenas, Alvaro A., John S. Baras, and Karl Seamon. “A Framework for the Evaluation of Intrusion Detection Systems.” The 6th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, 2006.
Previous Profile: Brandenburg, Jonathan
Next Profile: Goodrum, Richard