Dr. Ryan McMahan
- Ph.D., Computer Science, Virginia Tech, 2011
- M.S., Computer Science, Virginia Tech, 2007
- B.S., Computer Science, Virginia Tech, 2004
- Virtual Reality (VR)
- Training Transfer
- 3D User Interfaces (3DUIs)
- Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)
Major Honors and Awards:
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, National Science Foundation, 2016 – 2021
- Provost’s Award for Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring, The University of Texas at Dallas, May 2016
- Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award, Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science, The University of Texas at Dallas, May 2016
- Internet of Things (IoT) Technology Research Award, Google, April 2016
- Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Teaching and Service to the Department, Dept. of Computer Science, The University of Texas at Dallas, December 2015
- J. Howell, N. S. Herrera, A. G. Moore, and R. P. McMahan, “A reproducible olfactory display for exploring olfaction in immersive media experiences,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, pp. 1-20, 2015.
- Lai and R. P. McMahan, “Virtual Reality Ladder Climbing for Mine Safety Training,” in 37th International Symposium on the Application of Computers and Operations Research in the Mineral Industry (APCOM), 2015, pp. 754-760.
- A. Bowman, R. P. McMahan, and E. D. Ragan, “Questioning Naturalism in 3D User Interfaces,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 55, iss. 9, pp. 78-88, 2012.
- P. McMahan, D. A. Bowman, D. J. Zielinski, and R. B. Brady, “Evaluating Display Fidelity and Interaction Fidelity in a Virtual Reality Game,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 18, iss. 4, pp. 626-633, 2012.
- A. Bowman and R. P. McMahan, “Virtual Reality: How Much Immersion Is Enough?,” Computer, vol. 40, iss. 7, pp. 36-43, 2007.
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (IJHCS), 2014 – Present
- Review Editor, Frontiers in Virtual Environments, 2014 – Present
- Organizing Committee, IEEE Virtual Reality Conference (VR)
- Web Co-chair, 2016
- Publication Co-chair, 2015
- Videos Co-chair, 2014
- Student Volunteers Co-chair, 2007 – 2008
- Organizing Committee, IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces (3DUI)
- 3DUI Contest Co-chair, 2016 – 2017