Dr. B. Prabhakaran
Professor (CS, CE, & TE)
- Ph.D., Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras @ Chennai, – 600 036, India, 1995
- M.S., Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, (formerly, Madras) – 600 036, India, 1990
- B.E., Electronics & Communication, Madurai-Kamaraj University, 1986
- Multimedia Systems
- Video and health-care data analytics
- Streaming of 3D video, animations, and deformable 3D models
- Content protection and authentication of multimedia objects
- Quality of Service (QoS) guarantees for streaming multimedia data in wireless adhoc and mesh networks
- Collaborative Virtual Environments
Major Honors and Awards:
- Invited Exhibitor, Arc of Science: From Research to Results, NSF – Capitol Hill Event (invited demonstrations to Congressmen and Senators), (2017).
- Best Associate Editor 2015, Springer’s Multimedia Systems Journal (2015).
- General Co-Chair, IEEE International Conference on Health Informatics (ICHI) (2015).
- General Chair, IEEE Haptic, Audio, and Virtual Environments (HAVE) (2014).
- Member, Editorial Board, Multimedia Systems Journal, Springer; Member, Editorial Board, Advances in Multimedia, Hindawi Publishers (2012).
- General Co-Chair, ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR); Technical Program Committee Co-Chair, IEEE World of Wireless, Mobile, and Multimedia (WoWMoM) (2013)
- ACM Distinguished Scientist, (2011).
- Recipient, US National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award, (2003).
- 2007 School of Engineering Outstanding Service Award for Computer Science Department, 2007
- Anston Clark Foundation Grant (Jointly awarded to B. Prabhakaran and R.N. Uma), “Scheduling delivery of multimedia information”, (2002).
- Kanchan Bahirat, Yu-Yen Chung, Thiru Annaswamy, Gargi Raval, Kevin Desai, Balakrishnan Prabhakaran, Michael Riegler:
Using Mr. MAPP for Lower Limb Phantom Pain Management. ACM Multimedia 2019: 1071-1075
- Kanchan Bahirat, Nidhi Vaishnav, Sandeep Sukumaran, Balakrishnan Prabhakaran:
ADD-FAR: attacked driving dataset for forensics analysis and research. MMSys 2019: 243-248
- B. Prabhakaran, Yu-Gang Jiang, Hari Kalva, Shih-Fu Chang:
Editorial IEEE Transactions on Multimedia Special Section on Video Analytics: Challenges, Algorithms, and Applications. IEEE Trans. Multimedia 20(5): 1037 (2018)
- Rittika Shamsuddin, Barbara M. Maweu, Ming Li, Balakrishnan Prabhakaran:
Virtual Patient Model: An Approach for Generating Synthetic Healthcare Time Series Data. ICHI 2018: 208-218
- Rittika Shamsuddin, Yizhong Wang, Balakrishnan Prabhakaran:
Exploring functional clinical attributes for macular dystrophy detection. IWISC 2018: 38-43
Previous Profile: Pervin, William
Next Profile: Prakash, Ravi