Dr. Bhavani Thuraisingham
Louis A. Beecherl Jr. Distinguished Professor
- D.Eng., 2011, University of Bristol, England, 2011
- Ph.D., Theory of Computation and Computability Theory, University of Wales, Swansea, United Kingdom, 1979
- M.S., Computer Science, University of Minnesota, 1984
- M.Sc., Mathematical Logic and Foundations of Computer Science, University of Bristol, United Kingdom, 1977
- B.Sc., Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, and Physics, University of Ceylon, 1975
Major Honors and Awards:
- Best paper award, IEEE Conference on Systems Sciences, 1988 on Secure Query Processing
Strategies (Invited paper published in IEEE Computer, March 1989)
- Recipient of IEEE Computer Society’s 1997 Technical Achievement Award for contributions to secure distributed database management. As cited by IEEE, “this award is given to individuals who have made outstanding and innovative contributions in the field of computer and information science and engineering within the past 15 years”.
- IEEE Senior Member 1997 (now a Fellow)
- Recipient of Career Communication Inc.’s National 2001 Woman of Color Technology Research Leadership Award
- Featured in SiliconIndia’s May 2002 issue as one of the top seven technology innovators (the only woman) in USA of South Asian origin (others are from Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, NASA, PARC and HP Labs). The innovation was for data and web security.
- Recipient of IEEE’s 2003 Fellow Award for Contributions to Secure Systems involving databases, distributed systems and the web. As stated by IEEE, “each year, following a rigorous evaluation procedure, the IEEE Fellow Committee recommends a select group of recipients for one of the Institute’s most prestigious honors, election to IEEE Fellow”.
- Recipient of AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science) 2003 Fellow Award for “Outstanding and Innovative Contributions to Secure Database Systems and Secure Web Information Systems”
- Recipient of British Computer Society (BCS) 2005 Fellow Award for contributions to information technology
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer, 2002-2005
- 2010 Research Leadership Award for Outstanding and Sustained Leadership Contributions to the Field of Intelligence and Security Informatics presented jointly by the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society’s Technical Committee on Intelligence and Security Informatics in Transportation Systems and the IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society’s Technical Committee on Homeland Security
- 2010 ACM SIGSAC Outstanding Contributions Award for seminal research contributions and leadership in data and applications security for over 25 years
- 2010 ACM Distinguished Scientist
- 2011 AFCEA (Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association) Medal of Merit for Service to AFCEA and Sustained Professional Excellence in Communications, Electronics, Intelligence and Information Systems
- Recipient of 2011 SDPS (Society for Design and Process Science) Fellow Award for Transdisciplinary research in cyber security
- Recipient of 2011 Society of Information Reuse and Integration (Subcommittee of IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society) Fellow Award for “outstanding research contributions and leadership in Secure Knowledge Management”
- Recipient of 2012 SDPS Transformative Achievement Gold Medal for Trans-disciplinary Research in Cyber Security
- Best paper award at the IEEE ICTAI Conference, 2013
- Dallas Business Journal 2017 Women in Technology Award.
- Top 15 Cyber Security Professors named by Forensics Colleges, December 2013
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Fellow, 2018
- National Academy of Inventors (NAI) Fellow, 2018
- IEEE Communication Society’s (ComSoc) Communications & Information Security 2019 Technical Recognition Award for research contributions to Data Mining for Network Security Problems.
- MITRE Program Achievement Awards 1997 (AWACS), 2002 and 2005 (IRS Research Credit)
- MITRE Director’s Awards 1997 (Data Mining), 1997 (Distributed Objects)
- MITRE Author of the Month Award (1997, 1999)
- Honeywell Computer Sciences Center Employee of the Month Award (April 1987)
- Control Data Corporation, Arden Hill Programming Division, CDCNET Award (September 1985)
- NSF Program Awards (ITR 2003, Cyber Trust 2005)
- Louis A. Beecherl, Jr. I Distinguished Professorship in the Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science, The University of Texas at Dallas, 2010
- UTD Author Receptions (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011) for 5 books published while at UTD
- UTD Invention Disclosure Awards, April 2010
- UTD Invention Disclosure and Tech Transfer Award, November 2010