Plano ISD students’ scores on college entrance exams far exceeded state and national averages in 2013. The incomparable performance of Plano ISD students on these exams gives them a competitive edge for college admission and college success.
Towards College & Career Readiness was presented to the Plano ISD Board of Trustees at an October 15 work session by Paul Weaver, assistant executive director of guidance and family education, and Dr. Dash Weerasinghe, executive director of assessment and accountability.
Post-Secondary Readiness Facts
Class of 2013
Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) Results
- 2,682 Plano ISD seniors (71% of class) took the SAT.
- The SAT critical reading score of 555 compares to 471 at the state level and 491 for the nation’s students.
- The SAT math average score was 593 for Plano ISD students and 496 and 503, respectively, for students in Texas and the nation.
- SAT writing average scores were 541 for Plano ISD students and 456 and 480 across the state and nation, respectively.
- 2,654 (68%) of Plano ISD juniors participated in the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT).
American College Test (ACT) Results
- 1,964 (52%) Plano ISD seniors took the ACT exam in 2013 as compared to 1,785 (49%) the previous year.
- The ACT English average score of Plano ISD students (25.1) far exceeded the average scores of students across Texas (19.8) and the nation (20.2).
- Plano ISD students scored an average 26.6 on the math exam. Statewide and nationally, students’ average scores on the same exam were 21.5 and 20.9, respectively.
- Reading scores averaged 25.8 for Plano ISD students and 21 and 21.1, respectively, for students in Texas and the nation.
- The science reasoning average score of Plano ISD students was 25.3. Statewide and nationally, students averaged 20.9 and 20.7, respectively.
- The percent of ACT tested students ready for college-level coursework as compared to ACT tested students across Texas and the nation are as follows.
- English composition: PISD-90%, TX-61%, US-64%
- Algebra: PISD-83%, TX-48%, US-44%
- Social Science: PISD-74%, TX-43%, US-44%
- Biology: PISD-72%, TX-36%, US-36%
- All Four Subjects: PISD-62%, TX-26%, US-26%
Advanced Placement Program
Through the Advanced Placement Program, Plano ISD has opened the door for many students to take AP and honors courses. For many of these students, 2013 was the first time to take an AP test. Plano ISD’s AP program is one of the largest in the nation.
- 43% (3,306) of Plano ISD senior high school students took AP tests for college credit in 2013, and 31% (2,541)of high school students took AP tests for college credit.
- 12,598 exams were administered to students in Plano ISD high schools and senior high schools in 2013, an increase from 11,508 exams administered the previous year.
- 79% of AP test scores at the high schools and senior high schools were 3, 4 or 5.
- 132 middle school students in Plano ISD who took the AP Spanish exam had a 73% passing rate.
International Baccalaureate Program
The IB World School at Plano East is a rigorous course of study designed to meet the needs of highly motivated secondary students and to promote international understanding. Many students earning the IB diploma are awarded advanced college credit at prestigious universities around the world.
- In 2013, Plano ISD had 113 full diploma candidates in the IB program.
- 80 IB diplomas were awarded in 2013.
- IB students took 767 IB exams.
Dual Enrollment through Collin College
Since fall, 2005, Plano ISD has offered a dual enrollment program through Collin College. Spring 2013 enrollment was 511 students. (Fall 2013 enrollment is 665 students.) Students earned college credit through Collin College in the following courses: US History, Government, Economics and English IV.
National Merit Scholarship Program
80 Plano ISD seniors have earned Semifinalists standing in the 2014 National Merit Scholarship Program. They are now in contention for Finalist standing and $35 million in scholarships to be announced next spring. 197 Plano ISD seniors earned Commended status. Read more
Top Universities Receiving Final Transcripts from Plano ISD’s Class of 2013
|Top Ten Universities|
|University of Texas at Dallas
University of Texas at Austin
Texas A&M University
University of North Texas
Texas Tech University
|University of Arkansas
Oklahoma State University
University of Oklahoma
Texas State University
Southern Methodist University